Bill of sale/Invoice showing Tax paid on UK car

Pacey & Sadler

Hi,

We are new to the forum and have found some very useful information.

I have been reading the pages regarding registering a UK car in France which has been helpful but I haven't found the answer yet to one question I have.

I understand we need to show a bill of sale/invoice showing that the tax was paid on the car.  I trust that I would need the original invoice for the car when it was bought new from the main dealer.  Is this correct?  If so, my problem is the car is very second hand (it is a Peugeot at least which is good after reading more on the Forum) therefore I do not have the original invoice. 

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get around it?

I have been reading about getting the Certificate of Conformity and understand that it is best to get that from Peugeot France (for obvious reasons).  I am frantically learning French as we speak but am not confident on the phone yet and wondered if anyone would know if writing or emailing Peugeot France would be a good idea to try or would be a big mistake??

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Sharon

As long as you can prove to the tax office that the vehicle is more than about six months old you should get your 'quittance fiscale' issued with no problem.

By all means write to Peugeot France - that's better than e-mailing. Here is the text of a letter we wrote, admittedly two or three years ago now, and successfully got a certificate of conformity.

Automobiles Peugeot

Service Identification

Administration des Vehicles

BP01

75761 PARIS CEDEX 16

date

Madame, Monsieur,

Veuillez trouver ci-joint une photocopie du certificat d’exportation permanente afin d’obtenir une attestation de conformité.

La voiture roule au gauche et c’est une voiture Française qui était exportée en Angleterre en 1996.

Dans l’attente de vous recevoir, veuillez agréer, Madame, Monsieur, mes salutations distinguées.

The export certificate is no more, so you need to substitute 'certificat d'immatriculation anglais' for 'certificat d’exportation permanente'. Send a photocopy of theV5C registration certificate, showing the VIN number etc.

You will also need to omit the next paragraph unless your car, like ours was, is left hand drive and was previously exported from France.

The clever wotsits here will ask why we needed a CofC for a vehicle previously registered in France. Good question, I agree - but the prefecture demanded it, and as Peugeot issued us with a certificate at no charge it was the path of least resistance.

Hope this helps 

Sharon

To establish the age of the vehicle, the tax office will want to know the "date de premier mis en circulation".  That's the date of first registration on the V5C.  They should have no problems with this - I expect you're not the first english person they've had to deal with.  [;)]

Don't forget, the tax certificate becomes your temporary vehicle registration document authorising you to drive the car on its foreign plates for a month whilst you complete the registration formalities and obtain your carte grise.  You'll need to keep it on your person to show the gendarmes if you're stopped at a roadside check.