importing a few different trailers.

dave21478

Hello,

I have done a search and found a few usefull threads (especially one concerning a horse box) and I am wondering if anyone maybe has any updated information.

I have several trailers in the UK and the next trip down will be bringing them with me, but I need to know if its going to be a worth-while venture regarding registration here.

The first trailer is an unbraked single-axle garden trailer. Home-made but in good condition. I would say it would be classed as under 750kgs max. As far as I see, no need to register it in France?

Second is a heavy-duty car transporter. Max 3.5 tons. It is an "Indespension" make. The chassis plate has a space for EC conformity number but this is blank. Buying the equivelant trailer down here would be prohibitavely expensive so I would like to register it. I have the sales receipt (bought it second hand from auction) but no other paperwork. I assume I will need to contact Indespesion and see about getting a certificate of conformity or similar? the the usual import process should apply?

The third is also a car transporter/general purpose trailer but is home-made. twin-axle, braked, built from re-claimed caravan axles and coupling. Its 100% legal in the uk, but registering in France may be a problem. I made it myself so have no paperwork at all. Although the components are serviceable, the axle numbers and any markings on the brake backplates have long ago succumbed to corrosion (assuming they were marked in the first place) What are my chances of getting this registered?

thanks for any help,

Dave.

[quote user="dave21478"]

The first trailer is an unbraked single-axle garden trailer. Home-made but in good condition. I would say it would be classed as under 750kgs max. As far as I see, no need to register it in France?

[/quote]

If its maximum laden weight is under 500kg, then home made is fine and no registration required.  You'll need to stick a tare plate on the kerside of the trailer or the a-frame showing its PTAC as 500kg, so if it's borderline, then call it 500kgs and don't load it up too much.  If it's over 500kg, then it'll need it's own registration (and type approval, etc, etc.).

[quote user="dave21478"]Second is a heavy-duty car transporter. Max 3.5 tons. It is an "Indespension" make. The chassis plate has a space for EC conformity number but this is blank. Buying the equivelant trailer down here would be prohibitavely expensive so I would like to register it. I have the sales receipt (bought it second hand from auction) but no other paperwork. I assume I will need to contact Indespesion and see about getting a certificate of conformity or similar? the the usual import process should apply?

[/quote]

Contact Indespension for a certificate of conformity. If they never type approved your trailer model for France, then ask them for a full technical specification notice (notice descriptive) which you'll need in order to submit the trailer for a single vehicle approval test (reception de titre isole) at your local DRIRE. Key here will be the markings on the braking system - they must be fully legible and comply with EU norms otherwise they'll reject the trailer.  Many UK manufactured trailers require additional reflectors to be fitted. 

[quote user="dave21478"]

The third is also a car transporter/general purpose trailer but is home-made. twin-axle, braked, built from re-claimed caravan axles and coupling. Its 100% legal in the uk, but registering in France may be a problem. I made it myself so have no paperwork at all. Although the components are serviceable, the axle numbers and any markings on the brake backplates have long ago succumbed to corrosion (assuming they were marked in the first place) What are my chances of getting this registered?

[/quote]

None at all.  Sorry....[:(]