Driving in France

Michael

I would like to try and get a French Driving Licence but do not want give up my English driving licence.  I do have a home in France and therefore a French address but I am not resident. I have checked with a driving school who is willing to give me lessons and let me take the written test.
My big problem is my French is not up to much and therefore I will have great difficulty in reading the questions in the test.
Does anyone out there know of a driving shool that has an english speaking instructor and a programme that give the questions in English. The location would best be Calais or any where in northern France, or near Quiberon where I have a house.

You still haven't said why you want a French driving licence. 

Your UK licence is valid for driving in all EU member states and unless you commit a traffic offence in France which involves penalty points, you are not required to exchange it for a French one.

If you do exchange, your UK licence will be retained by the prefecture and returned to the DVLA. 

With regard to obtaining competitive insurance quotes, the place of issue of your driving licence is immaterial (see above).  Your driving entitlements remain the same whether it's a UK or French licence.

Unless you already have 11 points on your existing licence and/or are about to be banned, then I see no benefit in going down the French driving test route. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a French driving licence which you can have if you really want one, providing you let me have your English one!

I regret having changed mine when it was not necessary.

I was awarded 3 points and a 90€ fine for no safety belt in our village. (OK my fault) The Gendarme who stopped me spoke excellent English and said that if I had retained my UK licence, he would not have even booked me!

Also, I have noticed that although there appears to be no expiry date for the driving of certain class vehicles (cars and small things) I can only tow a caravan until 2007. What happens after that, I have no idea. Can anyone out there help please? Is it an age thing?

I understood that a B + E License for towing would only be necessary if the caravan's PTAC is greater than the unladen weight of the car, or if the gross train weight of the combination is more than 3500Kg.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Code de la Route Art R.221-4:

Catégorie E (B)

Véhicules relevant de la catégorie B, attelés d'une remorque dont le poids total autorisé en charge (PTAC) excède 750 kilogrammes, lorsque le poids total autorisé en charge (PTAC) de la remorque est supérieur au poids à vide du véhicule tracteur ou lorsque le total des poids totaux en charge (véhicule tracteur + remorque) est supérieur à 3,5 tonnes.

Hi Sunday Driver and thanks for the reply.

That looks like what I read with my rather inadequate French language skills.

Hopefully that means that the answer to the question is yes.   I got the usual gobble de gook from Babelfish when I tried for an exact translation.

I am just buying an Eriba caravan and hoping not to need the E part of the license, as I will have to change mine soon because of age.

While scanning this site once I did notice a side bar offering licences for France.

Seems that for an undisclosed sum  they could provide you with some sort of EU type licence which you could then take to the relevant department and apply to exchange it for a French licence.

I suppose if you look around hard enough there must be a number of devious routes that you can use to obtain a French licence without giving up your UK one.

It made me wonder if I could turn in my old United Arab Emerates licence for one? it was issued some 20 years ago so it's most likely expired by now.

I would be more worried that by providing all the details to someone over the phone or by post I would end up having my identity cloned. According to the press about the fastest growing crime in the UK now.

More2Learn.

I would be very hesitant to use any type of fake license to obtain a French license.  If the authorities try to check it out and find out that it's fraudulant, I imagine  you could get yourself into a world of trouble.  The times we live in are not forgiving ones...

PG

Firstly I would never encourage anyone to break the law, in France or the UK.

There are however legal ways to overcome some problems and that was merely my suggestion.

I have held a number of local driving licences, usually obtained by showing my UK licence and having some forms completed and a local licence issued. I had one in Singapore and another in Dubai, though this was a long time ago, both these were obtained at the same time as work permits and residents visa's etc.

France obviously accepts another EU countries licence as well as other International licences as proof of competence and validity to drive a vehicle in France.

In  some cases one of these might be used as a means to obtain a  French licence without sitting a driving test. The only problem of course is they hang on to the old licence as proof for the records.

If you handed over a licence obtained on your UK licence from another country that didn't keep the UK licence then you would have found a legal way of getting a French licence without loosing the UK one.

It is just finding out how to go down that route, of course it might mean spending some time working in some far flung French protectorate, so would it be worth it?

More2Learn.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Chessfou

When you exchange a UK licence for a French one, you keep your original entitlements - therefore no difference in what you can tow.

[/quote]

HOWEVER, if you are getting the abovementioned caravan/towing capabilities 'kept' onto your French licence you need to follow French law, so a visite medicale is obligatory every 5yrs ... even for youngsters like me!

Kira

By my reckoning I've got another 5 visits before I reach the 3 yearly ones ... I was amazed they passed me at the last one, I'd gone to bed at 4.30am after a fete, had the visit at 8.30am and had to be driven there by neighbours as I was unfit to drive and then fell over during the medical!

Kira