Minimum driving age in France.

briwy

I have recently posted in another forum here asking about French car hire for my 18 year old daughter.

It seems that it is impossible to find a hire firm that will hire under 21 (understandably) and the reason is that the minimum driving age is 18 with a 3 year probation period.

My daughter is 18 and will have held a full UK licence for over a year when she goes later this year.

Could someone please explain the probation period and will it affect my daughter (if so how) or does it juct refer to French nationals.

Many thanks

Brian

Your Daughter will not have a "probation" period because a)she has a UK full licence and b) she is not French resident. Of course, it is up to hire companies to set their own rules.

If, as suggested in another thread, you let her drive your car, then you should not have trouble insuring her (although it may cost).

Car rental companies set their own age limits based on insurance requirements and these limits do not necessarily coincide with minimum driving ages/probationary licences. I would be surprised if they go as low as 18 years.

For example, minimum age for Hertz UK is 25 years (30 years for more powerful cars). For Hertz France it is 21/30 years.  In both cases a daily supplement is payable for younger drivers.