american rv mot

lady of leisure

There are others on this forum much more qualified than I am to advise on re-registering here, but we've just managed to register our German-bought Camping Car with help from this board.

The first CT place we approached said there was no way they could  CT a foreign vehicle; their sister branch 10km away did it the next day without any questions and the original branch did the re-test a few days later!

Don't ask why, just persevere!

Good luck - camping car registration here isn't quick (it took us three months) but, for European vehicles at least, it is just a question of jumping through the hoops as they are put in front of you. Don't know about US vehicles though - I think it may depend where they were first registered.

This is written from my experience of researching the possibility of importing a UK registered Winnebago to France 3 years ago - things may have changed.

Unless your motorhome is already French registered you may have a hard time getting it through the CT.  The regulations for motorhomes in Europe are written around the idea of a "standard" motorhome of 1.5 - 3 tons.  American behemoths of 7.5 tons plus will struggle to meet the regulations.  For example, there are restrictions on the location of the gas bottle which has to be a certain distance from the door (mine had a built in tank under the step); the glass has to conform to European standards (EC logo), liquid storage tanks above a certain capacity must have anti slop baffles, changes to ventilation, electrics etc etc etc.

I rang Winnebago at the time and they told me they had given up the idea of exporting to France as "too difficult".  I saw one once with French plates but allegedly that used to belong to the friend of a highly placd official.  At the time I seem to recall the statistic of less than 6000 RVs in France as opposed to 60,000 in UK.

I did consider taxing and MOTing the vehicle in UK and insuring it for travel in Europe but as I supect Sunday Driver will tell you, this is of doubtful legality.  In the end I sold it and yes - I do miss it!

That said I have since found an importer (in Germany) with a website in French so it must be possible,  but I suspect you will become very friendly with your DRIRE.

See also http://www.vehicule-loisirs.com/VL2/fr/forum_v2/forum_posts.asp?TID=296&get=last looks like somebody did it!