A Confused Caravan Owner Registration Question

Panick

Having gone through all 62 pages of this Forum, and been enlightened on a number of subjects, we have a new case study for you to ponder/help (please!!!)

We have a 2003 Lunar Chateau that we have stored at a Gardiennage for the last two years. It has no French Documentation at all. The Caravan was bought in the UK, and towed by us to the 34 Region using our UK registered car. We still have our UK plate on the back, and the GB Sticker. It gets moved from the Guardiennage once or twice a year to a nearby camp site by the Guardiennage owner behind his French Registered Vehicle (for a very reasonable 25 Euros each way - and yes, on the first time we did end up with the UK door up against the nearest tree- never repeated, so great service). We still reside in the UK, and have a mere 67 pay packets to go before we escape and move to France. Our caravan insurance is UK based, and we have now read the small print and we are only covered for 6 months abroad (so thats no insurance really then). 

So two questions....

1. Do we need to register the caravan in France at this stage?

2. Does anyone know of an insurer that will provide for a UK caravan that stays permanently in France, but is never towed by its owner - We suppose we mean contents and third party only??? - On second thoughts, we are supposing the Guardiennage owner has insurance under these circumstances- our French is not good, and his English is non existent. What do we need???

All help welcome

PS. Many thanks to all the advice on the TelePeage Liber-T subscription. We ordered ours today, and look forward to whizzing though the tolls soon, with French drivers holding back, and UK cars following us!!

1.  No need to register the caravan in France at this stage.  It'll only need a carte grise if you intend towing it once you're living here.  Importing it and registering it is no big deal, so don't worry about it.

2.  Can't help with the insurance - When I lived in the UK, Saga gave me 365 day European cover for my camping car, but I assume that was because I using it myself all the time.