Buying vehicle in UK, converting to campervan, exporting to France

Dinks

So, our new project,  but I can foresee problems ahead! Has anybody else bought a van (we are looking for a VW or Mercedes sprinter type vehicle) in the UK, converted it to a campervan and then brought it over to France? We will be registering it in France as soon as we get it over here, but it is the insurance issue that is my main worry. Does anybody know of a French insurer who would be prepared to insure a UK regd vehicle (which will be a utility vehicle on the logbook at the time of purchase) which is then converted to a 'camping-car' and exported to France? Any info from anybody who has done similar would be appreciated.

Your first 'problem' will arise when the vehicle arrives in France because it will have to be submitted to the DRIRE for a single vehicle approval inspection (réception de titre isolé) before it can be registered here.  It's a complex process, especially for a self build camper, so I'd recommend you check out their website for details before you embark on the project:

http://www.drire.gouv.fr/national/demarches/dem_vehicules/Fiches%20RTI%20a%20jour/RTI03.5.1_18032008_autocaravane.pdf

Once the inspection has been completed, they'll issue you with a type approval certificate showing the vehicle's 'Genre National' as a VASP (camping car) rather than a CTTE (van), which will allow you to register the vehicle as a camper at your prefecture.  The new classification will be shown on your carte grise (registration document). 

A French insurer should be able to issue initial cover as a van whilst you go through the DRIRE/registration process then amend the contract to reflect its new status according to the carte grise.

Thanks for that. Yes, we have gathered it is a rather more onerous affair to bring a campervan into France! Any idea of insurers who offer insurance for vans?! I have emailed both camp-assur.com and assurance-camping-car.com but suspect they would only take us on once the re-registration as a camping-car has been completed.