selling french registered van

Chippiepat

Hi, advise please if poss,. I french registered  my van the year before last as I was living in france,I am now in england with the van that has sadley died.I'll be selling the van here for spares or scrap,can anyone advise me what legal obligations i need to full-fill to french authorities.Many thanks,

Pat 

If you are selling the van then you need to complete a certificat de cession and send a copy to your prefecture to tell them you are no longer the owner.  You give the other copy of the certificat to the buyer together with the carte grise, cancelled through and marked 'vendu le (date)' and signed.  If the buyer decides to repair the van, he'll need these to register it with the DVLA. If not, he can just bin them.

If you are scrapping the vehicle, then you must hand it over to an Authorised Treatment Facility.  Complete the same certificat de cession ticking the 'cede pour destruction' box but keep the carte grise.  The ATF will issue you with a certificate of destruction.  Finally, send the certificat de cession, carte grise and UK destruction certificate off to your prefecture.  They will then deregister the van as scrapped.