Speeding fines

johnabbott

Having spent 30 minutes trawling through the various posts on mondeoman etc can anyone advise me on my fine. I was clocked on fixed camera at 77 in a 70 limit a few days before I returned to UK in our French car. The fine arrived some time after we left in October, upon my return there was a letter saying pay 45euros within 15 days, 68 euros if outside that time or 180 euros if I didn't pay within 60 days. Thus I was well out of time I explained that there was nobody at the house until last week but no joy, i paid the 180 and was then told I might get a further fine because it was over 4 months.

That happened to me once, too - 77 in a 70 limit, on the last day of my previous stay. (I always try to be specially careful about speed limits when driving my French car, which is hardly built for speed anyway.)

I was opening my post on my next arrival, after midnight, and discovered the letter - and the news that the fine was going up that very day. Luckily for me, when I immediately went online to pay it, the gendarmes' computer seemed to still think it was the day before, and charged me the minimum rate rather than the next one up.

But I did wonder what would have transpired if I had not happened to have come back in a relatively short time-span.

I am sorry to hear that you had to find out...

Angela

John, I guess this happened because you're driving a French registered car, registered at the address where you normally live in France. You say you were returning home... so do you actually live in UK. If so it's a difficult one to work around as any mail concerning the French car will be sent to the registered address. Unless you have a neighbour who could forward mail for you I can't see a way round it. In any case it may be a good idea to set up an arrangement so that you at least get other important mail?