new build

gert

hello,

i can`t find what i want in the dordogne so am now looking at building plots.can anyone give me a rough idea of what it will cost me to build a four bed ,perigordian style, 170sqm ish or bigger (although that restricts what i can do , does it not?) habitable space stone faced house not inclusive of the plot if i employ an independant builder to do the bare minimum to get my 10 year guarantee ( i.e. walls and roof) and finish the rest myself? rough idea per sqm ? how much does an architect charge?? what other costs are involved?

big question i know, but anyone out there been through something simialar who can give me any useful advice?

Hello Gert,

We are having a house built in 82 currently and everything seems to be going smoothly so far - although we are only up to the sous sol at the moment. We are using a highly recommended builder from Montauban who provides a full service incuding architects drawings etc. One of the downsides, however, is the time scale involved - we were quoted 11 months from breaking of the sod to handing over the keys, and this does seem to be the norm in this area at any rate. When I told the builder that in England they would build a complete street in that time he just gave a typical Gallic shrug - basically saying, "and your point is?" I love the French!

We bought 4000 sq m of land overlooking a picturesque valley for around 38000 Euro, and building costs work out at approximately 1250 Euro per sq metere of surface habitable and somewhat less for the sous sol. 10 x 5 pool is quoted at about 25k euros inc terrasse.

You also need to be aware of extras like the fosse septique, driveway access and connection of services etc, which in our case amounts to a total of 10,000 Euro or so. We are extemely happy with our deal, as all we have to do on completion is furnish the place and paint the outside - oh and an acre of landscaping as well! Oh yes, and a fitted kitchen will also be priced on top of the above.

Of course these prices include carrelage, bathrooms, underfloor heating etc.

Hope this helps,

Roger

hi roger,

thanks for the info, i have a friend here who has just had a house built and it was a year before he could move in. he is now completing the inside of the house himself as it was left pretty basic, delibarately so i think to keep costs down. are you doing any work yourself on the inside?

are you using a private builder or a large company? what sort of habitable space will you have on completion? so your figure of 1250e sq m includes all your architects fees? did you have a design in mind or has the architect come up wiith something you like? or have you bought a pre-determined design off plan? by driveway access i presume you mean groundwork with a digger to create your driveway? so many questions!!! sounds like a good price for the land and good to hear you have a nice view, good luck with your project.

Gert,

We should only have to decorate internally, once the kitchen is fitted.

Regarding the driveway, yes, this involves digging out a track of approximately 80 metres from the lane, and surfacing with hardcore and gravel. As I recall the connection to EDF and water comes to about E3500 of the total quoted above.

We had an idea of what we wanted, discussed with the builder and his architect (all inclusive) came up with a great design straight off the bat. Although we only have 120 sq m above the sous sol, we are having a 4th bedroom and large bathroom actually in the sous sol together with a double garage, utility room, etc. Only the rear of the sous sol is actually below ground level as the plot is sloping. This way we can accomodate most of the family on their freebie (they think!) holidays.

The builder is a small firm who came highly recommended not only by Brits but by many French customers as well. I inspected two of his most recent houses thoroughly before I committed.

Please do not hesitate to ask should you have any further questions.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...