Disputed Guarantee

moigno

I bought a new Citroen C3 from my local dealer three years ago and negotiated a 4 year guarantee. Recently it needed a repair when the anti-pollution warning light came on. The garage now claims there is a 40000 km limit on the guarantee and charged me 140 € for the repair. I am disputing their interpretation as nowhere on the paperwork is this limit mentioned. What would be the next step in this dispute? Is there the equivalent of a small claims court?

moingo

The next step is you have a gin and tonic and carry on with your life.

Yes, there is a small claims court. It will take literally years to even get to a hearing and cost literally thousands, which you might, or might not, get back even if you "win".

If the garage wont do the right thing and if its a main dealer franchise if the Citroen head office wont help either then there is little more you can do. Customer is NOT king in France, customer service is an utterly alien concept and you will never win against the utter indifference and apathy that every level of most businesses exudes.

Thanks for your advice and I am sure you are spot-on about litigation. This morning I saw M le Directeur of the garage and he presented me with a document showing that the Citroen 4 year guarantee has a 40000 km limit. He suggested that this was something everybody in France should know - a sort of 11th Commandment. We argued for a bit and eventually he agreed to giving me a 'Bon' for 140 € against my next routine service just to get me out of his office.

moigno

I cannot see you doing any better than that.

We bought a few new cars in France and there was always a kms limit along with the number of years, including citroen, and I have just looked at the Citroen France web site and on there there is the same.

What I am surprised about is that it is not marked on your paperwork, I know it always was on ours.