Channel 4 Documentary

Ricochetsouth

Hello everyone,

I spoke with Eleanor and she suggested I contact this forum:

Ricochet South is producing a new documentary looking at the problems to look out for when moving abroad, and we are looking for contributors to take part. Our last documentary, on the same subject, drew such a great response that we have decided to produce a second. Our experience the first time round made us realize just how many people are dealing with problems abroad that few in the UK are made aware of.

We are looking to interview people who have moved, or are about to move abroad, and are experiencing problems, either due to differences in law, or culture, or both. We would be very interested to hear from people about to embark on starting their own business in France, or who have been open for awhile and are experiencing problems which they think could provide a cautionary take to others.

Though filming isn't set to start until a month from now,we are hoping to be in contact with most contributors by the end of this month. The programme will be broadcast on Channel 4.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Christina, Ricochet South
[email protected]

Christina

I'm sure it will make an interesting programme, and there are plenty who will say that it will be good to have a dose of reality to counter the bed-of-roses sort of moving-overseas programme. I have some sympathy with that opinion.

But speaking as a viewer I'd much rather see people who have sorted out the problems and made a go of it rather than just sob stories about French bureaucracy, social charges, and the usual beefs about foreigners who refuse to speak to them in English.

Will (50)

• 1 month later...
........... """" Our last documentary, on the same subject, drew such a great response that we have decided to produce a second. """ ...............

Do you really think so? You should have read the earlier threads on this. Poorly researched, cheapo TV.

And that also goes for the 'Place In The Sun' drivel that gives would be buyers a totally unrealistic perception of buying a property abroad.

Such programmes (Nippy et al) are the K-TEL of UK TV. (Same sh*te, different package)

My husband and I arrived in France at the end of last year and have now bought a house. We live in the Dordogne and are currently researching setting up a new business and integrating as best we can.

I used to be an Accountant in the UK and my husband was an Ambulance Technician.

We are both excited about our new venture and have no intention of either giving up or becoming "ex-pats".

I can't understand any reason for malcontents, afterall, anyone is free to either settle or return to the UK, no-one is really interested in anyone else's lives are they?

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Good luck everyone!

How about a programme on the trials and tribulations (and hopefully eventual success) of a renovation in ~France. We are just about to embark on just such a venture. i.e. Trading up French style

Give it a thought.

Give me a call

Ruth

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I are about sell our restaurant business in England to embark on building on a plot of land we have owned in France for the past 12 years, it is situated in L'Cluse South West France. We cannot speak French, but have applied for jobs working for the season on a Holiday campsite which we hope will help us come to terms with the language and hopefully progress from there. Would love to be included on any documentry, loved the last series.
Regards Joanne

Sad old Handbags the lot of you!

Find your new life and enjoy.

Ricochet South, your programme is the equivilent of chewing gum for the eyes. It is patronising and gives people the wrong impression of what it is to live out here.

It is ony of interest to dreamers or greedy property developers who think that living here will be a free (and tax free) ride. Fortunately the french government are seeing to this amongst the UK ex-pat leeches.

Now that would make an interesting programe.