Kennels / Cattery

Beeky

Hi,

If you check out the archives on the Pets Section you'll find an old posting of mine when I was thinking about setting up a cattery. I hope the old thread also lists the weblinks to the French Governing Bodies which authorise these type of businesses.

Basically, there are rules about where kennels/catteries can be situated (more than 50m from the nearest neighbouring house for catteries housing less than 9 cats, 100 metre rule for 9+) not sure about the rules on kennels but believe the distance must be even further. It is not enough that your local Mairie will approve the scheme - the French equivilent of DEFRA must also aprove site, situation, buildings etc (they can veto the Mairie).

You need to get various certificates, sorry I can't remember the details, but in order to get them you have to prove three years experience in your chosen field and/or attend various training courses and take an exam in French.

If you don't find the link let me know and I will look on my other computer for the information for you.