taxation for self-employed artists?

moos

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of registering as an artist in France? I'm a self-employed sculptor in the UK, living part-time in France. I'm keen to get more work in France, with the aim of moving there eventually. My income from my work is normally about £10,000 a year before tax.(and unlikely to improve much). I know that in general, taxation rates and social security contributions are higher in France, but how can I find out if these are likely to be higher than in the UK, before I take the plunge!?

I'd really like to hear from anyone out there who's done this, or any similar self-employed activity.  Thanks  

Hello Moos, this is very interesting. I'm afraid I can't actually answer your question but I am also a sculptor and about to try and earn some money! I've been on 'extended holiday' in France since Sept, but I now want to start working. I too was wondering about taxation but also how to actually get going. My French isn't too good and I need to find a studio space and maybe some contacts. How have you managed? Does anyone have any experience of working as an artist in France?

Hi,Scatterbrain. Not sure I can be very helpful, but here's my position at the moment: With the studio, I'm fortunate that I already have one in the house I share down in the Gers. My french is quite good, but I haven't yet tried to get an exhibition. I'm used to working to commission in the UK,but am trying to build up some work (stonecarving) and getting some decent publicity material to interest potential galleries. I've noticed at the various "vernissages" I've been to, that the french are very enthusiastic about art and its practioners, but not great buyers. But then I'm thinking of the rather remote countryside. It's probabably quite different in Paris or wealthy tourist towns.

Good luck,anyway.

Moos 

Hi

It is not always the case that payments are any more than in the UK if things are set-up correctly.

For this I would suggest spending an hour with a qualified accountant with experience of registering businesses of your type in France.

You can always claim it back as a business expense and you will know for sure that you are set-up correctly in France, and possibly saving yourself some cash.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone personally but there are some details on the Institute of Chartered Accountants website specifically about France at:

http://www.icaew.co.uk/members/index.cfm?AUB=TB2I_50529,MNXI_50529

Hopefully someone can pass on details of a suitable contact they know.

All the best

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/