Portage Company Recommendation

Inquisitive

HI

Would be really grateful for any recommendations of a portage company.  I am presently negotiating working freelance in France for my current Uk employer (fingers crossed).  I only need the financial end of things looked after, not the myriad of other services offered by some portage companies. What should I be looking for.

Many thanks   Claire

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Jo, it has certainly made me more cautious.  Has anyone found another way of working from home (in France) for a british employer?  I am negotiating 3 days a week working chez nous, and one week a month back in England.  I don't want to work on the black, but it would seem that a portage co is not necessarily a brilliant solution, as a lot of what they offer wouldn't be applicable in my case.  The consultancy fees would be quaranteed, and I wouldn't be looking for any state benefit if the work came to an end, also it seems that I wouldn't necessarily be able to claim any operating expenses against my income.  I don't need marketing services or venues in which to meet clients. All I want to do is pay my cotisations and tax legally.  The field of work is accounting services, and I will be based in Dept 46.  Any advice would be really welcome, or if anyone knows of the relevant trade body in my area, perhaps I should speak to them.

Many thanks  Claire

I think Portage companies vary in what they offer. Some offer lots of services and others a more basic one. I have never used one myself but I have read positive accounts in the French media by people who have. It does seem that in your situation Portage might be a good solution if you found a reputable company with reasonable fees. That way you would be fully legal and paying in to the French system, have minimal admin hassle and no danger of being forced to pay both employer's and employee's cotisations in France, as I understand has happened to some forum members.

Jo