Setting up a cattery?

zrx1100

My wife and I are considering moving to France to set up a cattery (boarding) within the Charente Maritime region. We are finding it difficult to get information regarding this and would like to know what the regulations are/
restrictions etc with the setup and running? Are they the same as what we would find here in the UK. Is there an organisation in France that regulates businesses like this? Is there much demand for a cattery?
Any help would be much appreciated,

I'm not sure what the demand for catteries is in Charente Maritime, but I do know that there are very few...in fact most are Kennels, who will alos take cats. Let's put it this way, if you do set one up, you'll probably have one customer (us) guaranteed!

There are people using this forum who run catteries and kennels who will be able to answer in detail but basically -

Nothing in France is ever universal, there are always local variations. Although I think standard regulations may exist, in effect no national body oversees such things. You will need to meet local council requirements as to accomodation, hygiene, size, record keeping etc.

You will probably need a veterinary qualification of some sort - this can be very basic. You will also need insurances.

Unless the cattery business is very small indeed (turnover less than about 2000€ to 2500€ per annum) it must be registered. In answer to a question in your other posting, different businesses run by the same people, or at the same address, need different registrations. One of the several kennels near us has been trading under the owner's partner's builder's Siret number, but that's not really legal.

Your cattery trade will mostly, if not entirely, come from British and other foreign residents. The French attitude to cats is on the whole rather different and they would no sooner pay for their pension than feed them prime steak and caviar. As many people keep dogs as well as cats you could do well to consider boarding both (and possibly rabbits, parrots etc). Another local establishment (the one whose owner uses this forum, not the semi-registered one above) started out with dogs only but now takes cats as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replys. We will be happy to see you Babnik if we can pull it off. Although the idea of a kennels would probably bring in a lot more business I don't think we would like the constant barking (our single collie x is bad enough).Will, thanks for the detail but regarding the separate registrations for the different businesses, surely that doesn't mean we pay more social charges than having just one business type does it? Hope not :-(

Hi,

I think it may be helpful to get in touch with the SCC (Societe Centrale Canine) http://www.scc.asso.fr or the SPCC (Societe des Professionnels des Chats et du Chien) http://www.snpcc.com.  I think that you may need to obtain the "Certificat de Capacite" (see website http://www.frenchtoutou.com/loisir/lois.html) in order to open a cattery in France, unless you have already been operating in the UK for a minimum of 3 years, in which case you need to apply to the DSV (Direction des Services Veterinaires) of the local "Prefecture".  I am trying to set up as a Dog Trainer in France and I have sent my info to the local DSV for them to assess my British qualifications.

Hope this helps!

Iz