An English's chance living and working in France

floozyfloozle

The New Year 2006 issue of Living France magazine contains a feature on the subject.

With sky-high unemployment, employment law that stifles enterprise, and overwhelming bureaucracy, nobody - British, French, Eskimo or whatever - has an easy working life in France. We would be misleading your English friend if we said otherwise.

I have no problem "seconding" those comments, having lived and worked in France for longer than I care to think about. If it wasn't for the fact that we have a good location, better than anything we could personally hope for in the UK and my part time "work" with the LPO and other wildlife organisations here to which I am fully committed I wouldn't still be here. It has to be one of the last places anyone would choose to live in for work purposes, restrictive is how I would describe France.

I will take this opportunity to mention a conversation that I had yesterday evening with a French Organic farmer that I know here. He was saying how impossible everything is for a small organic grower, having to do everything single handed, sowing, growing, cropping and selling in the market.  I asked if he had considered "Willing workers on organic farms" which some may have heard of. This is a global association where people can combine a sort of working holiday, spending part of the day helping on the farm in exchange for board and lodging.    Oh NO, this has been forbidden in France as it is classified as working and therefore subject to a contract and full social charges - the board and lodging is considered to be paid work. 

I smacked my head, of course how stupid of me not to have considered that THIS IS FRANCE.

Best, Chris

Would agree with Chris - the land of restrictive practices.  Got to say we do have a great social life here, but we had a great social life in England.  That is what you make it. It is however a little soul destroying - and worrying for the future - to be in a place where every entrepreneurial move is forbidden or so hedged round with red-tape that you may as well not bother.  This is not exclusive to the English, as Will says the French and indeed any other nation will find it equally hard.  If your friend wants to give it a go let it be for a reason other than advancement in employment!!

Best wishes

Maggi