?new business venture

Lhp

hi, can anyone offer any advice, please?

thinking of opening a coffe shop/gift shop, what considerations need to be made (legally and otherwise)? i would not envisage needing any additional staff - just man it myself!

if the premises was used for another purpose before, would there be a problem with change of usage, particularly if it had been an unused site for sometime?

thank-you in anticipation of your expertise.

[quote user="Lhp"]

hi, can anyone offer any advice, please?

thinking of opening a coffe shop/gift shop, what considerations need to be made (legally and otherwise)? i would not envisage needing any additional staff - just man it myself!

if the premises was used for another purpose before, would there be a problem with change of usage, particularly if it had been an unused site for sometime?

thank-you in anticipation of your expertise.

[/quote]

There is a vast beaurocracy trail involved in openeing any for of shop, retail or food outlet. Your best first port of call is your local Chambre de Commerce. You will need to speak with the Mairie in whose commune the property is, to discuss the change of use (which must fit with their "plan").

Expect the formailities to take about 3 months and cost several hundred €, before you even get started! Basic social payment will be in the order of 3000€/year plus taxe professional, insurance and licences.

You will also need to speak to an accountant!

Good luck!