General Handyman needs work in Cognac

King, Bristol

• 2 weeks later...

I see that no one has replied to your request for information, well as a fellow Bristolian may I do so?

The short answer is that if you want to work in France you really need to be able to speak French. You also need to register as a trader and get a SIRET number, as you cannot legally trade without one, although you probably know all of this already, as I cannot imagine that you would have bought a house in another country without doing the research beforehand?

The other option is that you work illegally on the black for cash, and risk a re-run of Bastille Day down at the local nick.

You may be fortunate and find an ex-pat running a building business in the locality who can help you find out what's what.

As for butchers skills...you may find a Charcuterie who needs a worker, but again you need to get registered on the French system before you can do anything.

I hope this helps and the best of luck. I bought my place 4 years ago and after reading the info on here and doing research I still don't feel confident about moving. As to how I transfer my Data Analyst and Excel vba skills to France I have no idea!!

Cheers

Rob G