Opening a Cafe

davido

Hi everyone,

has anyone here opened a cafe? We intend to do so and are happy on the business side of things, but need a lot of info on the legal/beaurocratic side. We're lucky enough to live somewhere with a wonderful view. there is a small parking area for cars directly accross the road and in the summer it's constantly busy with people just stopping to take in the view from a look-out point next door. The people park, take in the view, take photographs, and often linger for a chat. But there is nowhere to sit, or buy so much as a bottle of water. The market is clearly there.

But does anyone KNOW-

1) who can say yea or nea to our idea. I know we should approach the mairie, and are seeing him on Monday, But I am unsure of our position. Are we asking for his co-operation or his permission?

2) chambre de commerce. Same question - are we asking their co-operation or their permission?

3) Who controls the health/hygene side of things? (i.e. whether we have to fit a commercial kitchen, extra toilets etc)

4) What are the main hurdles with regard to running a business in one's home?

It's a lot I know but I am feeling rather ignorant about the whole thing - anybody's experiences or thoughts would be most appreciated.

thanks

David