A few questions?? Siret!

mark_sat

First off, Hi to all, I am new to the forum.

Like many others we are looking to relocate, however this brings me onto the Siret!

1) Can you only obtain a Siret if you live full time in France?

2) If you intend to work in both France and UK how do you stand? I am unsure if I am allowed to travel to France to work for a week and then return to the Uk. (legally)

I would be looking at working 1 week per month in France whilst living in the Uk at the moment.

I have been able to secure work in France on a sub-contract basis, and I wonder how I stand in respect of the siret. A few contacts request a Siret number whilst others don't.

I am keen to do things the right way, as we intend to relocate to France in the near future.

[quote user="mark_sat"]

First off, Hi to all, I am new to the forum.

Like many others we are looking to relocate, however this brings me onto the Siret!

1) Can you only obtain a Siret if you live full time in France?

2) If you intend to work in both France and UK how do you stand? I am unsure if I am allowed to travel to France to work for a week and then return to the Uk. (legally)

I would be looking at working 1 week per month in France whilst living in the Uk at the moment.

I have been able to secure work in France on a sub-contract basis, and I wonder how I stand in respect of the siret. A few contacts request a Siret number whilst others don't.

I am keen to do things the right way, as we intend to relocate to France in the near future.

[/quote]

1) Yes

2) If it is the same business, then it is probably best to register a "branch" of your UK business in France.

Non French-residents cannot run businesses in France. If the work is subcontracted to a UK company (yours), then there are no issues - the French authorities would not be interested. You are UK resident, UK tax resident, paying tax in the UK. You just happen to be working in France. All OK, provided a) you are not in a regulated trade (building specifically) or b) really living here & just trying to avoid punative French charges.

When you move here, you will become resident here & must register here. Always assuming that the French don't finally bow down to Brussels and change the rules - fat chance!

• 3 weeks later...
1) No.  I'm VERY confused about the SIRET but I work with someone who has a registered business in Germany, works in France but usually under the 183 day rule and pays taxes in Germany.  He has a No de Siret in France (but having a hell of a job getting a bank account re-opened as he closed the old one & doesn't have a 'solid' address in France).  He works in the building trade, maybe Nick would know why he's in that situation????????