rate of pay for cooks

Woodlands

My mother in law, who lives with us and is a good cook, has been asked by some gite guests coming soon if she would be able to cook their meals for them while they are here. She is delighted to earn some extra cash and has said yes. Problem is, she's no idea what to charge. Can anyone advise on a rate of pay for a cook? She'd be doing lunches over four days in the kitchen of their gite and she lives on-site. She reckons it would take her a couple of hours each day. It would be casual work cash-in-hand as it's a one-off and she is retired.

Also, a related question: does anyone know the going rate for a cook working on a regular basis?

Many thanks in advance,

sharon

Hi Sharon,

I wouldn't want to comment on what to charge for the gîte cooking but the starting rate for cooks in 'collectivités' ie maisons de retraite, schools, contract catering implants etc, is nearly always the minimum wage of  €8,27 per hour.  FYI, it's very hard to get a job like this without a french qualification. I don't know what the rate is in 'restaurantation traditionelle', as the ads always say is according to capability & experience.

Hope that helps.

If the guests are from the UK than ask yourself what would they be prepared to pay for this service at home.

Dont forget to add in the time for buying ingredients etc, ans also to mention it, they may well assume the the materials just materialise as if by magic and think that they are only paying for the time that they can see.

Alternatively as a starting point use what they would pay for the meals in a restaurant, it really isnt relavent in this instance what the going rate is unless they want to formally employ someone to do this work on a regular basis.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bastet. Only just read your reply. Thanks so much for the info. Is that rate you mention, ie 8,27E per hour, just for young people starting out in the job do you think? Also, would this be their declared wage or are we talking under the table?

Many thanks,

sharon