Been offered a job but the chap is asking for.....

dave21478

Hello, I have been offered a nice job here in France, and before its finalised, the chap is asking for "un titre de séjour et une autorisation de travail." and is also asking if I have a Social Security number. Now, I have been in France for 18 months staying with friends, not working, so have no papers. I am a UK citizen with a british passport. I was under the impression that these papers were no longer needed?

If not, where would I get them from and what would I need to get them?

Many Thanks,

Dave.

Although a British citizen is no longer legally required to hold titre de sejour, some employers still demand it, probably a throwback to former practice. However if you have been resident in France for 18 months, even if only staying with somebody else, you should definitely have a social security number. What have you been doing about health care up to now?

Once your employer passes your details to CPAM then a social security number should follow automatically; you will just need to make it seem as if you have just arrived in France to take up the job and would do best to keep quiet about the last year or so.

I have worked on Cheque Emploi recently, when I was asked for my social security number I gave a copy of my passport, which had my place and date of birth on it as this was what they needed.  About a week later I recieved a letter stating my contributions, and another letter stating I needed to go to CPAM to be allocated a social security number and to take these two letters with me.  This may differ slightly from your situation, but I would have thought that it would run pretty much the same.

Good luck

Mark

Don't worry about it at all.  The person employing you doesn't know the ropes, that's all.  All he needs to declare you is your passport, nobody will ask any questions about how long you have been here.  I had periods of being a penniless student on my husband's social security, and then when I went back to work I gave only my passport.  It really should not be a problem.  In fact, even in 1999 when I think but I am not sure that the cds was required, I got a job and was properly declared before it came through.