French Branch of an English Company

la-vie-en-rose

Hi

I wonder if anyone has experience or views on the merits or disadvantages (impossibilities?) of starting up a business using this method.

We would not be trading as such in France, and we are going to be seeking professional advice too - but experiences and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

I don't understand why you need a French branch office if, as you say, you do not intend to trade in France. There are various mechanisms if you intend to trade in France on behalf of a genuine UK company, starting with a "bureau de liaison" (activity limited to prospection and not actually trading), a branch office ("succursale") which reports back to the head office in UK and is under its control; and a subsidiary, independently trading in France but usually under the ultimate control of the parent company.

However all of these are intended for foreign companies intending to establish a genuine presence in France. The "bureau de liaison" needs no formal registration (except perhaps with the tax office), seems to vary from one CCI to another; the branch office has to furnish a copy in French of the UK company memo and articles, and receives its own French SIRET number; and a subsidiary is set up like any other French company (EURL, SARL, SA etc).

Hope this info helps - you can also speak to the Commercial Attaché in the French Embassy in London whom I have found very helpful.

P-D de Rouffignac