How to get land passed as building land

Is it difficult to get permission to build other houses on land where a house exists already?

I don't want to submit an application to build a house but would like to sell a section of my garden off as building land.

Is permission likely to be granted?

How do I do it?

What costs are involved?

and  the tricky one, how long should it take?

Thanks

Having done just that with a small field/garden, we found the system was fairly straightforward. If you take your land plan to the Mairie with the square meterage of the plot/plots clearly marked, he should be able to give you an idea if you have any chance at all. There is usually a set minimum size for a plot.In our area it's something like 720 sq mtrs. Obviously the access to the plot from the road is an important point. If you can draw a plan yourself you can submit it for outline permission,the mairie will tell you what info they want and give you the relevant forms. If you think that is a fair bet you'll get building consent, you will need a Geometre  to measure the plot, submit the details and get the local cadastre plans amended.The Geometre will give you a quote for doing the whole job for you, think in terms of 1500e-2000e. Always worth considering if it will sell and is the commune selling plots off cheaply in the region??

This is the route we followed and advice is based on what we did.

Regards.B&B St. Malo.   ourinns.org