Minimum contributions under AE scheme?

Fiona

Hi, I have an E106 which is valid until Jan 11.  However I have just started working for myself and am going to register under the AE scheme.  What I wanted to find out is what is the minimum amount I need to earn and contribute in order to be covered under the health system.  I know that one of the advantages of AE is that if you earn zero you just declare zero and then pay zero tax etc.  However what amount do you need to pay in to be covered?  As it's a new venture it's hard to gauge how much I will earn this year - it could be as little as 5,000 euros for the yar, but it could (hopefully!) be more.

Many thanks

There is currently no minimum but if you show nil returns for more than a year then you lose your AE status.

Taking it to its extreme the next time I do some work for someone out of friendship or neighbourlyness and they insist on giving me a payment even if token, which to date I have always refused even if it means upsetting them, I could take the money and declare it and nothing pay the dues under AE.

I wonder whether they would think that I was taking the p155 or being a model citizen?

On a practical level, I moved to France in late 2008 and registered as an AE at the beginning of last year. I was never in the French system until the AE registration. I declared about six thousand euros turnover at the end of July -- the first declaration date.

By the time I was due to make my second declaration I was already being treated for 2 ALDs, one of which was bowel cancer, needing a total of about 2 months in hospital, including 2 operations, plus home nursing, scanners, X-rays ... As a result my second declaration was for a lot less and I won't have any turnover to declare at the end of January.

So a smallish AE turnover has covered me for some major care.

Thanks, Chancer. I'm actually well on the road to recovery now, although it will take another month or two for the innards to fully settle down. That' ignoring my heart ALD which is for life.

I got my attestation last July, if I remember rightly, but there was a huge bottle-neck due to the uptake of the AE scheme. The bowel cancer was diagnosed at about the same time. Still don't have a Carte Vitale.