Another Autoentrepeneur question!

Fiona

Hi, I am going along to my local Chambres de Metiers this week to (hopefully) register myself and my partner as AE's.  Is there anything I should be aware of?  What paperwork do I need to bring?  My partner's trade in the UK was ceiling fixer/partitioner/dryliner.  Will he be expected to register as an Artisan or can he register as a general maintenance man?  He has no qualifications as such for his trade - just 30 years of experience!  Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Actually registering as an AE can be done easily on the Web. You could probably register yourself that way, depending on what you plan to do. I believe, however, that the requirement for artisans, particularly in the building trades, to prove their credentials has been beefed up this year.

Officially, your partner should be able to register as a dryliner with the C de M based on his experience. Was he self employed or employed? This would affect what sort of documentation they might expect. I know that some people have registered as general maintenance men but there are restrictions on what you can do in that case.

He was self-employed, has been for over 30 years.  Would like to try and register online if I can but was a bit worried that if I register him as "activities artisinal" then it may mean I have to provide qualifications for him.

I'd gather together any and all documentation that shows he's been earning his living as a dryliner, etc. for at least the last three years. For example, did he have a separate business bank account? Yellow pages entry? If he had his own Ltd Co then that would help. Maybe a letter from his old accountant? Copies of invoices for work done and receipts for materials (with his name on)?

As you can see, I'm no expert on this area. Your best bet is to go along with everything you can and wait for them to ask for something else!

Good luck.