barn conversion cost/m2

Richardbk

LAST EDITED ON 02-Apr-03 AT 01:44 PM (GMT)

I know this has been asked before (as I had a look in the archives )but I was wondering whether over the last year or so there are members that can add their experiences to barn conversion costs. The reason for asking is that we are thinking of moving house. It has a perfectly habitable existing barn conversion, to which is attached several other unconverted barns. (cour de ferme). A new heating system (sufficient for the new conversion), fosse septic etc are already provided and could be connected and the to-be converted parts have sound walls and roof.

From experience what sort of price/m2 are you paying for barn conversions. I.e. using professionals for everything up to basic fitting out (rooms, stairs, wiring, plumbing etc, but not including decoration and/or bathroom/kitchen fittings. Also has anybody done the whole job under the control of an architect ?

thanks for any info

Richard

Virtually all materials manufacturers put their prices up between 3 and 10% at the beginning of this year and no doubt most Artisans will do the same. I'm not keen on per sq. metre costing, especially for barns as there are many more variables, but would think you should be looking at about 650 - 700 Euros per sq. metre of accommodation for all the basic works - it would be 10-15% more if it were to include all the finishing.

Regards

Charles