Old Ceramic Fuse board

laperdriere

Hi everybody

Before we bought our house it had a new electrical supply run to it, new meter,interupteur,and incoming main fuse. Fine you say, but the only drawback is they then took feed wires to an ancient ceramic fuseboard which serves the house. My question is, when I want to replace this with a proper fuseboard how do I cut the electrical supply while I do it, is it sufficient just to push the red button on the interupteur ?

Thanks for any replies

John

Pushing the red button, or tripping whatever switch it has will effectively cut the supply to both live and netral, so you should be safe when dealing with this.
HOWEVER: this is France, so have a voltage tester handy, the ones that light up when you touch them to a live cable will do fine, and touch live, neutral ,and even earth with it before trusting to touch with hands. Experience has taught me even then to do the first touch of each cable as a light brush: better to get a slight jolt than to grab onto a live wire and not be able to let go!
In short, try it, try it, and even then , don't trust it.......better safe than sorry with electricity.
Alcazar

We had the same problem. But you are better off re-wiring the hole lot because if you have a ceramic fuse board then your wiring/plugs/switches are bound to be in need of replacement as well.

What I did was put a consumer unit between the main supply (and trip) and the ceramic fuses - you can then replace plugs, lights etc..as and when. I wired in all new plugs, separated the boiler and the only thing now going through the ceramic fuses is the lighting circuit.

mike