Do I need to vent Toilet ?

No this is not a question, that I am posing after a decent curry.

In our new property, we have a downstairs toilet, which is connected via 100 mm pvc pipe to the lottissments sewerage system, Is it better to vent the system by incorporating another 100mm pvc tube that exits the roof? or is it adequate to just connect it up direct?

Thanks for any help

Tim

My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that for the unit to flow properly and not cause vacuums, it is essential that the 100mm pipe extends higher that the WC itself and be open to the atmosphere. Typically this means the pipe exiting the roof. However you can have the pipe exiting into the attic and fit a DURGO valve which allows the pipe to vent one way only and thus stops any nasty niffs exiting into your attic.

These things are hard to find in France (in my experience) but the proper name in french is "Aeration sous toit des chutes d'eaux eses". According the box mine came in the mob who supply them in France are:

COLENA, Zone Industrial Nord, 15 Rue des Freres Lumiere, 68000 Colmar.

To install you just have to carry the 100mm pipe up into the attic and connect the WC to the rising pipe by using a swept T joint and the then pop the valve on the end of the pipe. Much simpler than making a hole through the roof for a traditional vent.

Oh I got mine from B&Q I am afraid as no one seemed to know what I was asking for over here. I have cecked with a chap I know who says that are perfectly legal to use in France.

Hope that helps

Stephen (19)