Difference between agence immobilière prices and private advertisers' prices

Please forgive what may be a naive question.  I have been looking at publicity about flats for sale in Paris, both via agences immobilières and via the 'de particulier à particulier' website which I understand is private individuals advertising direct.

The agent' prices seem to be a shade higher than the private individuals'. I guess this is because the agents' price incorporates their commission charge, to be paid by the buyer.

If this is the reason for agents' prices being higher, then why do private indivduals in France bother to advertise direct?  If they would otherwise have to pay the agent, it is clear why they would want to deal direct.  However, if it is the buyer who stands to gain from a person-to-person transaction, why would sellers take this route, which presumably means more work for them, rather than just putting in the hands of an agent?

Or is there a fee due from the seller to the agent, as well as from the buyer?

Any info in this area gratefully received.  I am going to Paris next week and hoping to view some flats, so hope by then to be not quite so naive about how it works.

Merci beaucoup.

It is!

That apart, you are right, Agents tend to include their fees (likely to be up to 7% or so), but there is nothing to be paid by the seller (usually).

Individuals continue to advertise because they can offer the property at a lower price. As the legal side is handled exclusively by a Notaire, then shrewd (and competent) buyers can save themselves quite alot of money.

Or so they say...