To our electrical "bright sparks"..

Nick Trollope

Hello Paul ....................

Can anyone tell me:-

What is the difference between a Disconjuncteur Differential and an Interrupteur Differential (apart from 50E!!)?

Are "Intermediate" light switches (as in 3-way circuit) available & what are they called?

My vieux maison has very thick walls, making it almost impossible to run upteen cables back to a central point. Can I use lots of fuseboards, fed from a single ID/DD? (We are now monophase, thank the Lord/EDF!)

Can I add a contactor to a C-E circuit, so that I can run 2 C-E's (individually isolatable), or must I use the auto type DIN-rail normal units? I already have the control switch, but it is a long way from the C-E's & the cabling is not up to running both of them.

TIA!

The title of your message reminded me of when I was younger (15 years old actually) and applied for an apprenticeship at the Eastern Electricity board for an apprenticeship. I went along for the exam and interview and was informed afterwards that "I may not find the job interesting enough" as I had scored too high in the tests; The local paper did an interview and the heading was " Too bright a spark for the Electricity board". I did get my apprenticeship in the end and went on to win the Uk apprentice of the year awards in 1982 aged 21 after competing against 11,000 Uk applicants. My prize included travel around Europe as well as some handy spending dosh, and it was the week I spent in France that captivated me and is probably why I find myself living here 20 years or so later.

Anyway in answer to your questions;

What is the difference between a Disconjuncteur Differential and an Interrupteur Differential (apart from 50E!!)?

The first one gives protection for both fault currents as well as earth leakage currents. ie; it acts as a fuse or circuit breaker as well as earth leakage. The other type just gives earth fault protection and is the more commonly known.

Are "Intermediate" light switches (as in 3-way circuit) available & what are they called?

Yes they are available but not commonly used. I think they are listed as commutator in my catalogues. The more common method of multiple switching in France for three switches or more is to use a telerupteur and the spring loaded push switches.

My vieux maison has very thick walls, making it almost impossible to run upteen cables back to a central point. Can I use lots of fuseboards, fed from a single ID/DD? (We are now monophase, thank the Lord/EDF!)

Lots of fuseboards is probably not a good idea but two or maybe three is sometimes practical in larger properties. You just have to make sure that each sub main cable to each fuseboard is correctly sized for the load it is to serve and that it has the correct size and type of protection at it's source. Voltage drop is another consideration. Contrary to popular belief, single phase is by far the simplest and cheapest and most practical system to have in a domestic property. The only people who benefit from three phase are farmers and the EDF who can equalise their loads on the supply network.

Can I add a contactor to a C-E circuit, so that I can run 2 C-E's (individually isolatable), or must I use the auto type DIN-rail normal units? I already have the control switch, but it is a long way from the C-E's & the cabling is not up to running both of them.

If I have understood the question, then as long as they are supplied fromindividual circuits with their own protection then any time of contactor will suffice. TOu could still make use of the "fil pilot" to control the second contactor.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I knew you would come up trumps!

My local (at age 16) MOD research establisment turned me down for an electrical (engineering) apprentiship - it appears that my Mother was considered a security risk (that is a long story). Which is why I ended up in Electronics, which provides me with no useful knowledge whatsoever, for renovating a French house. C'est la vie....