Artisan cooperative, maître d’œuvre, payment schedules...

Catalpa

We’re looking at appointing artisans for the major parts of our renovation work – stonework and roofing – for the latter, both the carpentry side and the slate work itself.

One of our devis is from a cooperative of local artisans and the work would be managed by their maître d’œuvre whose charges are 6% of the cost of the work.

Payment system proposed is as follows:

One third payment for each artisan as they *start* their piece of the work.

One third payment *half way through* each section of work.

Balance on *satisfactory completion* of the work.

The maître d’œuvre’s fees would be paid half on commencement of the work and the balance on satisfactory completion.

Has anyone else had any work done on this sort of contractural basis? Is it unusual for France? If we go with them there are issues to be agreed – such as for each artisan, what precisely constitutes *half way*.

For the maître d’œuvre, are there accepted responsibilities to which he should perform? I know what *we* would expect him to do and if we go this route, I know what we will ask of him, but I wondered if there are any formal expectations – a recognised service level agreement I suppose.

I would add that we’re in a part of Normandie where there is a large British population – both permanent residents and second home owners and there are stories about some workmen getting caught out when British owners either disappear back to the UK for months or run out of money and disappear permanently. Perhaps this has driven the suggested payment schedule.

Carole