Oil fired rayburn

KevinH

Hi All

We are moving to Normandy next year to a cottage that we are renovating. We would like to fit an oil fired rayburn for heating, hot water and cooking. Has anyone got any experience of this? Eg oil prices, is the heating oil the same grade as in the UK etc?

We will be taking a second hand rayburn from the UK with us if it is suitable.

Are there any French range cookers similar to the rayburn, made in France?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi

UK heating oil is different from French heating oil (28s as opposed to 35s, I believe). Oil here has gone up alarmingly (38-52c/L over past 9 months).

If you bring a Rayburn from the UK, then you will need to have it set up to run on French oil. I know that this is possible, plenty of companies still service older Rayburns/Aga's.

There are plenty of oil-fired cookers & heaters available here (very expensive, though). I'm sure that someone on the Forum can identify a good one for you.

On a related topic, where would I go to buy small quantities of oil for a 'Mazout' which only heats one room and uses it's own integral oil tank.  I assumed this would be a brico but came away empty handed the other day.  Can I go to a Dyneff or similar oil supplier and simply fill a say 10 litre tank?

Thanks,

Richard