LPG central heating

Julian3449

I am a poor man with a cold girlfriend.

I want to install central heating St Pons, Herault. Currently we have a small electric boiler for d.h.w.

I noticed that my neighbour has an LPG tank in his cellar feeding a combi boiler. I want the same.

I can do the microbore pipework, fit the radiators, but feel aprehensive about LPG.

Can anyone advise how to get commission an internal (not external) tank and how much it will cost?

Who do I call who may be able to speak English?

Julian

Thanks Nick - great advice.

Can I fit a combi boiler to an oil system? Is it oil that gets heated or oil that gets burned to heat water?

Unfortunately, dealing with the girlfriend issue is not a viable solution. She has other qualities! So I try to keep her warm, but sometimes my best is not enough!

Thanks

Julian

Hi Julian,

I wouldn't like an LPG tank in my cellar. LPG is heavier than air and if there is any kind of leak it will pool. In the U.K. we had LPG central heating with a 1200 ltr tank and one of the conditions was that it couldn't have a solid wall around it, because of the danger of any leak 'pooling'. We had no problems with it and our new house has got a 1500 litre LPG tank and low temp under floor heating, lovely...

The rented house we are in at the moment has electric radiators and they may well be cheap to install, but I definately would not entertain the idea of them in any house that I owned!

John (soon to be warm again!!).

We have a French oil-fired combi boiler in our house, it burns the oil which heats water for radiators and hot water supply. Many people seem to prefer to just heat the water for the radiators via the boiler and have a separate electric water tank, but I have no complaints with our boiler.

I can confirm, from experiences of several people we know, that if you want cheap heating you should definitely steer clear of LPG. It does seem to work exceptionally well though.

Wow, thanks for the information chaps. I felt very lonely before yesterday with regard to this issue.

This is super advice. So the consensus is to acquire an oil-fired combi boiler to heat the radiators and keep the incumbent electric boiler for the d.h.w.

The next tranche of questions are: how do I store the oil? Who supplies it? Can it be stored in Le Cave, or does it have to be external?

How much does oil cost? Are there any special regs I should investigate?

Thanks again,

Julian