Adding new electric socket

moos

Does anyone know if it's easy to wire in an additional wall socket? In the UK on the ring main you could quite easily add a spur. In French wiring, would you have to wire the new socket right back to the fuse board on its own cable? I only want to add one socket a couple of metres from an existing one and am trying to avoid calling in the electrician just for this. Am I being foolish?!

Call in an artisan, it will be only about a 1 year wait...

No not really; but you can DIY as long as you have a bit of common. First the spur can be extended but each  line should feed no more than 5 sockets...

so if you have 4 then continue your spur by an additional 1. Soooo easy n'est pas???

But more than that and then yes you do need to put in a new line from the board ( and a seperate fuse!).

Be safe though..... Best wishes Jeremy

[quote]Call in an artisan, it will be only about a 1 year wait... No not really; but you can DIY as long as you have a bit of common. First the spur can be extended but each line should feed no more than 5...[/quote]

Not quite.....The regulations state maximum number of sockets on one circuit is 8, not 5. Five is the recommeneded maximum if you want to have  the "Label Promotelec" which is usually on new build pavillions.

Paul

[quote]It's my understanding that you aren't allowed to loop off the existing SOCKETS, like you can in the UK, but only from an existing, or a new JUNCTION BOX? Alcazar[/quote]

That's incorrect. You ARE allowed to do this on power circuits. Maybe you are confusing it with lighting circuits whereby you cannot link direct from each lighting point.

Paul