Importing a UK range cooker to France?

Alcazar

Given the massive difference in prices, (a double oven duel fuel range cooker in France seems to START at €3500, whereas a decent one can be had from the likes of Cannon in the UK for £900,) what would be the problems of importing one?

Connection? Are the unions the same? Are flexible hoses allowed from a fixed LPG supply in France? If not, how do the French move their cookers to clean? I can't believe they don't bother!

Servicing? Would parts be available, or will French repairmen just give me the old Gallic shrug? Cannon are part of the Indesit group.

What of gas pressures etc? The cooker comes with a full set of LPG jets for the hob.

Anyone out there done this, and know for sure?

Thanks,

Alcazar

Are you sure you are comparing like with like - We bought a cannon range about 8 years ago (around £1500 if i remember correctly) - were very dissappointed with the quality (bits kept falling off) - called out the engineer 6 or 7 time in 4 years.

Eventually got fed up with it and replaced it with a Britannia at more than twice the price - it has been perfect.

rgds

Hagar

"Connection? Are the unions the same? Are flexible hoses allowed from a fixed LPG supply in France? If not, how do the French move their cookers to clean? I can't believe they don't bother!"

Not sure about the unions, but I think they are the same, they are on our LPG heaters from the U.K. They are connected with flex hoses. The hoses have a definate life of about 10 years and then they have to be changed. They have the 'use by' date printed on them.

"What of gas pressures etc? The cooker comes with a full set of LPG jets for the hob."

The pressures are the same for both propain and butain. Butain is normally used for indoor heaters or summer caravanning type thngs, because it does not 'gas' below freezing point, although saying that we have a butain bottle outside our rented house here in the Aude, it's been b freezing for ages and it still provides gas for the hob. Propain can be used down to -47 deg C. That's why it's used in the bulk gas tanks for central heating, etc.

Even if Cannon are part of the Indecent (?) group I would say that it would be different to the French models and you really wouold get that Gallic schrug (may be part German too?).

John.

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks as if flexible hoses ARE used then? I wondered about a) how to make a rigid connection BEHIND IT, and, b) how to clean behind/around it with a rigid connection in place.

Well, for better or worse, she's decided on one from Stoves, the people who make all the ones in caravans etc. Got it at an incredible price, almost £500 off via the net.

It does have two ovens, so if one fails, the other ought to work, and if not, it looks like I'll be taking up cooker repair, along with washer and dishwasher repair that I've done before

Heres hoping and fingers crossed..............since it'll be MY fault if it goes awry

Alcazar

Hi

I would advise against a rigid supply and cannot even see what the point would be.  A rigid supply would have to be tigthened up somehow and it would be rather tricky unless the stove had no cupboards in the immediate vicinity.

A flexible supply allows you to move the oven with disconnecting and reconnecting it. 

Most gas pipework uses very similar fittings as water plumbing and as french plumbing bits have the same threads as UK stuff you should be OK.  You should note that where braising fittings you are supposed to use a braize with a high silver content as it is stronger.

Our installation has an isolator valve under the sink and has solid piping up to that point from the bottles gas.  The flexible pipe then runs from this isolator valve to the cooker

Hope this helps

Stephen

"Most gas pipework uses very similar fittings as water plumbing and as french plumbing bits have the same threads as UK stuff you should be OK.  You should note that where braising fittings you are supposed to use a braize with a high silver content as it is stronger."

Don't forget to turn the gas off while you are braising or we will all read about it!

We had a Stoves, LPG, double fan assisted oven in our house in the U.K. It was a 'B' grade unit because it had a small dent on the side, the bit that's hidden by the installation, and it was really hi-tech and very good. Because of the mark it was 1/2 price at £600. We had a problem just after I had installed it and an engineer came to fix it under warranty and at the same time fitted a free upgrade worth about £300. A complete new processor and all sorts of bits. It was fun just looking at it working, because the burners in both ovens were in the centre of the fan at the back and looked a bit like those stainless steel pan scourers. When they lit they were just like catherin wheel fireworks... The top smaller oven was the grill too and it had about 16 little 'button' burners and were behind a glass plate. It was ever so easy to clean. We decided not to bring it with us because if there had been any problems here it would have been difficult to get the bits. The initial reason for getting it was that we could not find a decient sized LPG oven...

John.

Hagar: yes, an electric double oven, rated at a total of 5.85kW if I use both ovens, the seperate grill, and the warming tray, all at the same time. Can't see it happening very often: here in the UK, we have a double oven, and only the larger fan oven gets much use. Can't remeber the last time both were on at the same time. I seriously don't know why she wants such a huge thing, but there you go.

I'll be installing it's own supply point, rated at 30A, or as close as I can get to that.

Johnzjob: oops, your Stoves one went wrong as soon as you'd installed it? Now why doesn't that fill me with confidence?

Oh well, decision's made, now we have to live with it!

Alcazar