Hot water pressure valve

Joric

We had a new water meter fitted the other day and on looking at it I noticed that the small wheel was going round slowly all the time with everything turned off.On checking I found that the valve at the bottom of the tank in the main house was trickling water all the time.I released the pressure but after a short time it started again,can anyone tell me a remedy or do I need to change the valve? Thanks in advance.

Richard

Just in case you were not aware, this valve is supposed to drip water whilst the ballon is heating up. It is designed this way to allow expansion in the pressurised tank. But if it is continuosly leaking then you may have a bit of calcium build up which is not sealing it closed. 

It sounds like you mean the safety valve or " groupe de securité" on your hot water ballon. These need to be operated once a month to stop calcium build up. The cheaper types do not have a stainless steel seat and therefore are more prone to clogging. You could try to operate the vidange valve a few times as this may stop the leak, otherwise it is a relatively simple job to replace the valve.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
if cleaning or changing the groupe de securite does not solve the problem, then the constant dripping is probably caused by high mains water pressure. To cure this you need to fit a reducteur de pression (20/30 euros) on your mains supply, reducing your water pressure to 3 bar.