Yankee screwdriver: changing bits?

Loiseau

Sorry, this is rather pathetic of me, but I can't remember how to change the bits on a Yankee screwdriver...

I have found the bigger bit that I want to use, but can I work out how to get the current one out and fit the new one...

Thanks in advance for any step-by-step advice

Angela

Brilliant, Paul!  I had already tried that, but you gave me increased confidence that I was on the right track!

My fault for using such antiquated equipment!  I can't find my battery-operated one, so had had to resort to the faithful Yankee...

Angela

"While on the subject of Yankees and battery drivers, here's a tip.

Don't discard the Phillips/pozi bit from your Yankee when upgrading to a battery drill. Those Yankee bits are far superior to the little pozidrive bits that come with the drill - or those that are on sale as replacements.

I've discovered that a genuine Yankee bit in the drill gives more leverage, doesn't chew up and lasts forever!"

Yankee bits are designed to work in only their hand screwdrivers and not power tools.

If you want serious screwdriver bits then Wiha produce these http://www.wihatools.com/pro_DiamondBit.htm

Yankee bits have round shafts which would be prone to slip in a power tool - as for giving more leverage, not chewing up and lasting forever - that sounds like a good marketing angle for a bit manufacturer.

In reality, you buy a stock of good quality bits such as Wiha, above, and throw them away when they start to wear.

Better still, invest in a cordless impact driver - once tried you will never go back to a conventional drill/driver. With one, you can drive 100mm/6 screws into oak without a pilot hole - using a good quality bit.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr:grindoux

[quote]"While on the subject of Yankees and battery drivers, here's a tip. Don't discard the Phillips/pozi bit from your Yankee when upgrading to a battery drill. Those Yankee bits are far superior to the l...[/quote]

Personally speaking.... I use the Trend "Snappy" stuff - a whole range of bits (drivers, sockets, drills, centre drills, masonry drills) with a common (1/4") hex drive, which also seems to be compatible with the DeWalt & B&D fittings.

Had a set, used daily, for 4 years now & never broken or worn out anything (lost a few bits, mind you).