Alimentation Provisoire - Electricity

Alane

Does anyone have any tips on getting a temporary power supply for use during building work? We've managed so far with a generator but are having major work done and the builder would prefer a supply. He tells us that we have to apply for the connection and that it doesn't always get approved. We're off to the EDF office on Friday so any tips would be gratefully received.

Best Regards

Alan.

We organise 3 or 4 of these "branchement provisoire" a year for our customers. You will need to fill out a form and then supply  a weatherproof "coffret" containing fuseholder for EDF fuses, disjonctuer differentielle rated at 500ma, and another at 30ma for your individual protection, and a length of two core 10mm or 16mm cable of about 12 metres (if you want single phase). This coffret is usually either mounted at the bottom of the nearest EDF pole to your house, ready for them to connect direct to the overhead lines. This is the most common configuration but there are other scenarios. The approved type of coffret could cost you around 500 euros or more, and so you might be advised to hire one or get a local electrican to hire you one. We have three available at the moment so if you are anywhere near Dept 53, I will be glad to supply one. You will also need to provide your own earth, usually by a tempoary earth rod adjacent to the coffret.

If your builder is not registered, the EDF may refuse or denounce the chantier to the authorities, (and quite rightly so IMHO). The form you fill in also asks you for a permis de consruire number (if applicable). My local EDF colleague has refused some supplies due to the above.

The maximum time for this type of supply is usually one year by which you should then have the main to the house connected and a Consuel inspection, however we often get a further 6 months in some cases but after this period the EDF are keen to remove it.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul

Thanks very much for the info and the offer. No problems with the Permis de Construire or artisan - he's definitely registered. I wouldn't have thought of taking the Permis de Construir number with me on Friday so thanks for the tip. Am I likely to need the siret no of the builder?

We are in dept 27 in Normandy - as you are in Mayenne then presumably not too far away unless you are on the far side. It's a shame the new Alencon-Rouen motorway isn't open at the moment. I'll be in touch if we get the go ahead from the EDF. I think our nearest power post is 30 or 40 metres down the road - do we have to run a cable that far while we are working?

I guess my other option is to persuade my neighbour to let me plug into his supply!

Best Regards

Alan.

Hi Alane,

You don't need the siret no. of the builder, but as the application form may be different in your dept, then it won't hurt to take it just in case. It may be worth taking a sketch plan of the house in relation to the nearest EDF pole and mark the distance to it on the plan - perhaps a photo too.

Without seeing your set up, I am not sure where they will take the power from, as i said it is nearly always the nearest pole, so usually you have no choice but to run a longish cable from the temp box.  If there are already overhead cables coming to the house, they may connect nearer into these.

Paul

Paul

A somewhat bizarre experience. Managed to find the office, which was nowhere near the address given on the EDF Web Site - goodness knows when they moved address. My details were taken and I was asked for my phone number so that a technician could ring me to make an appointment for a site visit. Fax and e-mail weren't an option so I gave my UK mobile number, sorry that wasn't an option either - I had to have a French telephone number which the technician could call to make an appointment, and no, I couldn't call him!!

So I went off and bought a Pay as you Go mobile SIM card on the Orange network, naively thinking that it would work in my UK Orange phone. But no, the UK Orange phone wouldn't accept French Orange SIM cards without being "unlocked". The only way to find out the telephone number associated with the SIM card was to insert it in a phone and make a call to Orange France. I called Orange in the UK and after a wait of several minutes (at 60p+ per minute) was told that it would cost £20 to unlock my phone and there was a 7 working day wait. I politely declined. I took the SIM back to the shop where I bought it and luckily the lady there was happy to put the SIM into another Orange phone they had on display and get the number for me.

I then called the EDF and gave them the phone number to go with the earlier booking request. Somehow the conversation didn't sound quite right and as it was by now a quarter to 5 I just got the feeling that the operator hadn't actually updated any records and was more concerned with plans for the Easter weekend. As I was only 2 minutes away from the office I shot round and got into reception at 10 to 5. The lady on reception treated me like a long lost friend and confirmed that the phone details hadn't been added to the record - "it's lucky you came in, I don't know what can have happened".

Now back in the UK I've put the SIM into an unlocked phone I had here and await the technician's call with bated breath.

Best Regards

Alan.

Paul

They're not all bad! A guy phoned me yesterday morning as I was on my way to work - in the UK. He wanted to come round and fix the supply up that morning. He didn't seem too phased (no pun intended) when I said that I was in the UK and he said he'd call back nearer the time I'm back in France.

I'll mail you separately about your offer of the box.

Best Regards

Alan.

Hi Alan

Out of interest, what did EDF quote you for the installation of the builder's supply? We're in the process of getting this sorted out by our builder (who has already put in the pipework in a ditch from the entrance to our land to the house for electricity, water & phone) but he hasn't given us a quote from EDF. I know every situation is different, but as a guide??

Many thanks.

Ewa

Ewa

They told me the standard charge was €160 - obviously I also have to provide the equipment described by Paul in addition. It seemed reasonable although I suppose that all they are doing is connecting a supply at their existing post using my/hired equipment.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Alan.