Sourcing Kitchens & Bathrooms in Brittany 56

Beverley

We are very new to the area & have just purchased a house that requires everything apart from a roof, walls, windows & doors. Can anyone tell us the French equivalent of B&Q, Homebase, MFI, Wickes etc? Is it cheaper generally to buy kitchens & bathrooms in France or England?

B and Q equivalents are also owned by Kingfisher: Castorama and Brico Depot. Castorama (www.castorama.fr) has similar products to B and Q, and is about as poorly organised. Brico Depot sells cheaper stuff - and is disorganised.

Better French suppliers include Mr Bricolage, Bricomarche and in particular Leroy-Merlin (www.leroymerlin.fr).

You can buy Hygena kitchens from their outlets around and about - they seem to be in the malls near Carrefour!!!

Like most things, you need to do the legwork and get a feel for who has what, and for how much.

Bathroom kit (as discussed in depth elsewhere) is very cheap here. The Bricos have the deals.

We tend to supply kitchens and bathrooms (and tiles) from Lapeyre (www.Lapeyre.fr). The quality is generally very good, they have a good range and they have comprehensive catalogue, but they are probably not the cheapest.

We have just installed a Lapeyre kitchen for one client whilst another opted for a Hygena kitchen fitted by Hygena. The Hygena kitchen is rubbish and only partially installed whereas we've fitted a Lapeyre oak kitchen for only a little more cost.

Beware cheap porcelain from bricos.

Have used shedloads of cheap pot from Bricos without any issues. Most of it is similar or identical to that sold in the UK for more from the likes of Screwfix.

We have had some extremely good results...in many applications. In fact, the 60 EUR bogs have a better float valve arrangement than the dearer ones. 

You pays yer money...

"We tend to supply kitchens and bathrooms (and tiles) from Lapeyre (www.Lapeyre.fr). The quality is generally very good, they have a good range and they have comprehensive catalogue, but they are probably not the cheapest.

We have just installed a Lapeyre kitchen for one client whilst another opted for a Hygena kitchen fitted by Hygena. The Hygena kitchen is rubbish and only partially installed whereas we've fitted a Lapeyre oak kitchen for only a little more cost.

Beware cheap porcelain from bricos."

As ever, Charles is spot on. Lapeyre kitchens are very good value for money - apart from the very low cost range, good strong cabinets and top quality hinges and drawer runners from Blum which are about the best around.

I do not generally use Lapeyre for bathroom fittings or tiling - all of their product range is available from our local trade supplier (www.gapsa.fr)  at much lower prices.

I would certainly agree with Charles on the products from the bricos - cheap toilets with non-mounted mechanisms, cheap thermostatic shower mixers with plastic fittings, etc, etc.

With these loss-leaders the bricos then charge vastly inflated prices for basic plumbing fitings, electrical parts - all of which can be be purchased from a trade supplier at far lower prices - in our area of France, the trade supplers are more than happy to supply the general public and offer advice.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Bob, how do you actually work with gaspa. I looked at their site the last time you mentioned it in relation to PER fittings but it directed me to a plumbers merchants in Perigueux (Cobatri) who are pretty useless especially when it comes to PER.

Do you know of any mail order suppliers for PER fittings as none of the local suppliers seem to stock the whole range.

"Bob, how do you actually work with gaspa. I looked at their site the last time you mentioned it in relation to PER fittings but it directed me to a plumbers merchants in Perigueux (Cobatri) who are pretty useless especially when it comes to PER.

Do you know of any mail order suppliers for PER fittings as none of the local suppliers seem to stock the whole range."

Charles,

Gapsa are a buying group covering independent plumbers merchants all over France. I assumed that all the members would carry the whole product range. I use Wendel SA who have outlets in Villeneuve-sur-Lot, Marmande, Agen and Bordeaux. They carry the full range of PER fittings and tubing in both slide-on (which I use and crimp-on).

The other supplier that we have in Villeneuve that carries the range is Brossette www.brossette.fr they have a branch in Perigeux.

I do not know of any mail order suppliers, but if you are stuck then let me know what fittings you are looking for - we are not that far away.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux