Radiators

Jacks

Can anyone tell me how you work out the size of radiators needed for each room. Also has anyone installed their own oil central heating without having any past experience in plumbing, if so how did it go?

Thanks for any help.

Jacks

Installed plenty of oil-fired central heating with experience.

As far as sizing rads is concerned, there are various ways.

You can use a heatloss calculator such as here: http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

You can also make an informed estimate of your needs, although you need to be aware of the limitations:.....

If you want to estimate, and assuming you have reasonable insulation, you could try using the basis of 1kw output per 20m3. I would suggest that you add 20-30% to the rad sizes once this has been calculated. The position and shape and style of the rads also affects the comfort and heat distribution. Old school says fit rads under windows....not necessarily the right thing to do. It is generally better to have long rads where possible - the heat distribution is more even. Always use double convectors (K2) where possible.

It is generally better to use larger rads with TRVs on, since the TRV will reduce the heat output to suit the actual demand, and the rooms will warm quicker with an oversized rad. Since most oil boilers are high output (and cheap) here, you have plenty of capacity to play with.

Sorry Jacks, I need to muscle in here.

Opel

You say boilers are cheap here. This is not my (limited) experience. Please have a look at my plea for help on the 5 June. Chauffage Francais are quoting 1700 Euros (is this cheap?) and Ideal-Standard 2500 Euros for similar models.

If you know any that are cheaper, let me know.

Thanks