Wood for Stoves

markn

Can any one give me a pointer as to what the correct terminology is for buying wood for our stove - it is a Clearview 500 about 8.5kw and ordering the wood is one of the first things we need to do when we move out in September.  I guess it's simple things like what are the options: - length, type, age, quantity, whole, split - am I on the right track here - I wouldn't want to get it wrong as the stove is our sole source of heating (no back boiler) - anyone any idea of how much we might use in a winter if it is on all the time (but down low while asleep).

I've done a search and can't find the answers.

Thanks

Mark

By far the most important is that the wood is "sec and pret a bruler" (dry and ready to burn). You would be best advised to burn well seasoned oak (chene) or beech (hetre), and NEVER softwoods like peuplier or sapin which produce sticky tars and will clog your chimney. You need to check what is the maximum size log your clearview will take. Most people will order wood in 50 cm lengths. If the "rondins" (logs) are larger than say 10cm diameter then they will burn better and give more heat if they are split. If your stove needs shorter logs then ask before delivery - Most people will cut to whatever size you want but as there is more work involved smaller lengths sometimes cost more. We have a poele in the kitchen which takes 20 - 30 cm logs and an insert in the lounge which takes standard 50cm logs. It took us a few seasons to get a supplier who either didn't give us crap, or delivered unseasoned, or short quantities (now there's a whole new subject!) The best advice is to ask locally, most villages have someone who will gladly seel you logs - but beware . I always go and inspect the wood first before it arrives and is tipped which is then too late!

Paul

I'll try and give some answer to get things started. We buy wood by the "pile" which is 4 cubic meters (I think) or thereabouts. The other measurements are the "cord" which is 1 cubic meter, and the cord which is 3 or 4 depending on where you are apparently.

The cost per pile is 150 E in 1 meter lengths or 190 E in 50 cm lengths for "good" stuff, which is generally a mix of oak and ash. Age is supposed to be 2 or 3 years "pret a bruler" depending on who you talk to, some people say 3 years is too dry and burns too quickly. The length you should go for is what will comfortably fit in the stove, given that your woodman will not get every log right!

Splitting is always something we've done ourselves, you need a good ax, ours is one of those yellow plastic ones as the wood ones were breaking at the rate of two a winter. Kind of fun and

Where we live at any rate, buying wood is a dark art done in cash, and frankly until you've done it a couple of times you really won't know whether you are being "done". Even if you ask for the right stuff, the guy will turn up with it and it takes experience to be able to tell if the wood is good or not - so I would ask your mayor or someone else locally for a recommendation.

For the amount you will use, last year was very harsh and we used 5 pile across three stoves (in two houses), which were going most of the time for the very harsh period. The year before that we got by with three pile. But it will depend on how big and well insulated the house is, whether you are in there all day, how efficient the stove is so it is hard to make a judgement call.

I'd advise against down low while you sleep *all* the time, as I understand it, it can fowl the chimney and increase the risk of a fire. Make sure your chimney is swept obviously, and if you do burn overnight make sure you have a mid season sweep.