Books and electrics

P

Thought it would be useful to gen up on rules and regulations for any work on a property in France before we start searching. I have bought 'Renovating & Maintaining Your French Home' by Joe Laredo which seems excellent and does seem to answer some of the questions on this forum. BUT is there a better book?

On the subject of electricity and in particular 'lighting', the book states that 'a lighting circuit must have a max of five light sockets'. In one room in our UK house we have 9 230v halogen downlighters so, if it were in France they would have to be on 2 circuits. However, in the bathroom we have 6 12v dimmable halogen downlighters run via one dimmable transformer. As these are 12v are they excluded from the 'five rule' or would they require 2 circuits, 2 switches and 2 transformers?

Paul 

Regarding a book on French electrics then try this book,

L'installation électrique, it's very good and covers the latest norms.

For the lights, are the 9 halogens all controlled by a single switch ? If they are, then I would consider this to one light, especially if they are 20W bulbs. There's not much danger in overloading a circuit with < 200W. As with most rules, I think common sense often prevails.