DRIVEWAY ACCESS

Angie

Our builder has just submitted our plans for the permis de construire but we have noticed that the driveway access is in the wrong place.  We were told when we purchased the plot that the driveway had to be located at its current place, but the builder has moved it 50 yards along the road right next to our neighbours driveway.  We do not want the driveway located at this spot, especially as this will be the last in a long line of compromises we have had to make.  Can anyone tell me what the chances of us getting this changed now the application has been made?  I know the builder will say that "it is impossible" but just wanted to get my facts straight before asking them. 

In our area it wouldn't be a problem if they've only just been submitted as they will still be at the Mairie and not yet sent to the DDE so a visit to the Mairie would suffice. Things may work differently elsewhere. If the drive has to be in the existing location the plans are most likely going to be rejected anyway for that reason so it would save you time to amend them before they go any further.

One thing that puzzles me is that if the builder is proposing to move the entrance 50 yards this would change the cost which you don't seem to have agreed to?

Best Regards

Alan.

The cost of installing the drive is not included in the price, only the access from the road to the land - the house is in the middle of the plot, so whichever side you access it from it will still be the same distance between the road and the house - but seeing as we have so much land it seems a bit daft to the put the entrance right next to the neighbour's driveway!  Thank you for your reassurance Alan - I will ring the builder first thing in the morning.

It may be that there are good reasons for the move - could be that putting the two drives adjacent to each other reduces the cost of kerb works on the road if there are any. From what you say it sounds like he's just drawn it like that because he hadn't checked. I'd certainly check with the builder and insist that you get what you want or at least understand why you can't have it. It sounds like you are pretty much committed to using him from what you say but if you aren't happy with all the compromises you are making even at the plan stage then if you aren't stuck with him for the duration of the works I'd start looking around for others.

Good luck.

Best Regards

Alan.