No Factures From Builder

Penny29

HI,

We used a Scottish builder on our Dordogne renovation for over 8 months. He was SIRET registered and we always paid him by cheque on a week by week basis. He promised that we would receive the factures at the end of the job, but these have never been forthcoming despite NUMEROUS requests.

My French neighbour has advised me to contact our Adjutant Maire as he is also a qualified advocat and often takes on problems like this free of charge for people in "his" commune. Another friend (a French builder) has told us just to lodge a complaint with the Chambre de Metiers, as they will intervene on our behalf and have the powers to stop this guy from trading if they think he won't stick by the rules in future.

Has anyone else been forced along this route. If so, what advice would you give.

Obviously this is NOT a builder I will be recommending to anyone!

Penny

I am pleased to say that the situation may be resolved now.

We decided to try one last thing before going "official" and asked a mutual friend to have a "quiet word". Within minutes we received a phone call from the builder and he has promised that the factures will be with us by the weekend.

Apparently, he has changed address, phone number and his two email addresses recently & this was the reason we weren't getting replies.