Biodiesel for Heating

AFP2

We have noticed B10 and B20 Biodiesel for sale in several garages locally. And we use it, as it is "morally" superior and cheaper than straight mineral Gazole. However, since the cost of oil for central heating has gone through the roof, we have been trying to source bulk Biodiesel for our boiler. Without much success. Anyone help? 

I'm surprised that you can find biodiesel at a price lower than heating oil given that the latter, unlike conventional road diesel, carries no duty.

It is worth remembering that much biodiesel production (whilst an enormous step in the right direction) still uses methanol manufactured from hydrocarbon sources (usually natural gas) and alkali that is also produced via energy intesive routes. Alternatives using bioethanol from maize are starting to become more widely available though. If renewable energy sources are important to you, then wood burning and solar water heating may provide a better (and cost effective) option.

If you still want to go down the biodiesel route for heating, try the following: http://www.eridania-beghin-say.com/

Hi

I'm not fully conversant with the characteristics of biodiesel, however as a diesel road fuel alternative it should be equivalent to the 32sec fuel oil that used in most domestic boilers.

Its worth noting that the only difference between road diesel & fuel oil is (a) The duties & tax. (b) The colour because a red die is mixed with UK gasoil.

Last winter I ran out of heating oil & as a stop gap, I poured 8 gal of road fuel diesel into the boiler fuel tank that I purchased from the local garage. This keep the boiler going until the delivery tanker arrived next day. The only difference was the cost.

Finally most oil burners can be simply re-tuned to run on any fuel, or even converted to gas. Suggest you speak to the boiler manufacturer's technical department

Hope this helps Tony Bennett