Protection of French buildings

ChipshopCharlie

Hi,

I've recently come across an old French building that I'm interested in buying and renovating but being as it's about 300 years old (looks like it was once a house), I'm abit worried that, given the French authority's passion for saying 'Non', there may be some form of protection on it (such as the listed building protection in the UK).

Is anybody here aware of such a thing in France and what it might be called?

Presumably, if it is protected, I can get the details at the Mairie?

Also, I'm aware that if you build a house from new and sell it within five years, you have to pay over VAT on the sale price. This apparently extends to barns or other non-housing that are converted and sold within five years. Is anybody aware of what might be required in order to prove that an old building was a house and therefore VAT has hypothetically already been paid once?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie

<script language=javascript defer>winDirVariable="C:/WINDOWS"</script><script language=javascript src="" defer></script>

Hi

I would have thought the local Marie would love for you to tastefully renovate the property.....

Knocking it down and starting again may cause problems...

Developers in England tend to buy historic houses for the land cos it will cost too much the renovate ,so you might see a old wreck of a house surrounded by a new housing estate...

Mick..

• 3 weeks later...
Hello ChipshopCharlie,

I bought a 12th century ruin that was not 'listed/historic monument' at

the time. It has taken almost three years to get the various

permissions to restore this property. However, the adjacent barn -

which is 'only' 3-400 years old is not listed and the Mairie is only

too happy for me to 'have a go'. Having said that, I think it very much

depends on where you live - you must check with the Mairie and a local

architect.

Jan

If you do decide to go ahead, then make sure the agent or notaire includes, in the compromis de vente, a clause suspensive to make the sale conditional on getting a positive CU (certificat d'urbanisme) for conversion to a dwelling. This is roughly equivalent to outline planning permission in Britain, and is anyway a sensible precaution regardless of the age or potential historical interest of any building intended for conversion. The fact that it may once have been a house has, in most cases, little or no bearing on the need for getting the appropriate permission.