Lets hope you don’t find one of these !!

dinks

Lets hope you don’t find one of these !!

We live In a small hamlet in SW Dordogne at this time of year there are only 3 French households and 2 brits households  that are occupied.

One of the French guys owns 2 houses and is in the process of renovating one of the houses , This house was owned by a French lady that was none to of been very active in the resistance in the war .

Well yesterday he was taking apart  a old insert cupboard when something dropped by the side of him.

This is what it was  http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f78/shan3962/kju.jpg

after asking me to look at it and me saying that it looks real to me

He then phoned the police at 10.30 am to tell them about it, They sent out the quick response team that turned up at 6.30pm today to have a look .

One look and they made a phone call and a special unit will come out tomorrow at some point to deal with it.

I love the speed of life hear and hope that none of you find one of these .

Will post up date tomorrow .

Got my OH (Retired RAF armourer type) to look at it.   He is intrigued and says would you please follow up with what it is.  I reckon it looks more like an old gas cylinder than anything more sinister.  He won't commit himself in case he makes an idiot of himself (it's a guy thing) but if he was female instead of male, I think he would risk it and go with a gas cylinder as well.

Anne

I'd be very interested as well - I've taken the liberty of posting the URL on a military discussion list to see if anyone knows what it is.

In Picardie they tend to be a bit blasé about old ordnance, and the farmers just pile it up in a corner of the field or by the side of the road and eventually the army collects it and sets it off in a controlled explosion. They call it the 'iron harvest'. Best treated with great respect, though!

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/iron-harvest.jpg[/IMG]

I have received this reply:

"At first glance it appears to be a French model 37 grenade, or one of those

derived from it, with a model 35 fuze. The bright blue color leads me to

believe it's a post-WW2 training version."

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f338/dick_at_aulton/OFx-37_fuze_BAx-35.jpg[/IMG]

So it may be inactive or else a smoke-pot (non explosive). Would I risk tampering with it to find out? Nah.

Second opinion just in:

"Dick,

Ed is perfectly right : it is a post WW2 training version of the French

grenade. I used some of it during my military service back in 1983.

With some pals, we made an embuscade and threw a lot of these grenades

on our sergeant's platoon. We killed all of them !!! They were covered

with white plaster ! Very funny.

Yves"

Yves has a robust sense of humour.