Second-hand sit-on mower

Coco

I've also posted this in the gardening section because I didn't know where best to get an answer.  So sorry for the duplicate posting.

We've been offered a sit-on mower from a Brit neighbour who is selling up.  He said it was 1650 euros brand new 5 years ago and now he would like 1000 euros.  We thought that was a little steep, as unlike a lot of the furniture in the house, which has hardly been used because it's a holiday home, the mower has been used at least once a fortnight from March to late October for the last 5 years.  Does anyone (Ty Korrigan perhaps) know how you would work out the depreciation on something like that?

We were thinking more along the lines of about 700 euros and like so many things these days, it's actually cheaper brand new now than it was then.  We've seen the same model (updated in fact) for sale in the same shop this year for 1450 euros, not on promotion.  We totally trust him that he's not trying to say it was more expensive than it was, in fact he said he can let us have the original invoice, but we think 1000 euros is a bit steep.  However, he's a really nice guy and says he still intends to come to this area for holidays and will use our B&B for his stays, so we don't want to offend him with a ridiculous offer.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I agree that it's a bit steep. I paid 800€ for a 3 year old mower from the previous owner of our property when we bought the house. It cost 1700€ new and we've seen them new since at a lower price. It's a Bricomarche own brand. These mowers are often made by the same company (Electrolux in USA) and just painted or customised for various outlets. You can check the manufacturers plate which is probably under the seat. They do get a lot of use as you say, but the main parts which suffer are the blades and blade drive belts, and you can get these at the bigger garden shops or DIY centres. Ours had a broken belt and when we returned to UK during the completion phase I ordered spares direct from USA and they arrived within a week! If you buy it make sure you get the handbook and spares list; this makes it so much easier for replacements. Also the servive history. The engine will go for years so long as it's been serviced regularly; it's important to change the oil and filter, just as with a car. These mowers usually have a Briggs and Stratton engine, very robust.

For a 5 year old mower my best offer would be 700€ and I think I'd start at 600€. If he thinks he can sell it for 1000€ I'd be amazed.

Thanks Sid.  I also got a reply from Ty in the garden section and he concurs with you, in that he suggests 50% of today's price, not the price he paid.  As we've seen it at 1450 that would be about 700 then!  And we were thinking on the same lines as you, starting at 600 but being prepared to go up to 700.  Much higher and we may as well buy a new one ourselves. 

My husband has actually been cutting his grass for him, so we know it's history and it has gone in for a winter service (balancing and sharpening the blades and oil change) every year except this year.  So by the time we would get it off him, which would be the end of this summer, so it will have seen 6 seasons of work by then, it won't have been serviced for two years, so I think 600-700 would be fair.  I agree with you, I'd be amazed if he can get 1000 for it and I know he doesn't want to have to take it back to Yorkshire.  There again..... he is a Yorkshireman [;-)]